Top 10 plastering tips and tricks
Get plenty of light onto the wall you are plastering
Check out our top 10 plastering tips to make your plaster goes on your walls with a smooth, professional finish
Plastering a wall can be a messy, frustrating and time-consuming business. It's so easy to get wrong so we've compiled our top 10 plastering tips and tricks to help you get the plaster onto the wall smoothly every time and feel like a professional DIY expert.
1. Never begin a plastering project before you have thoroughly cleaned and inspected each and every one of your plastering tools.
2. First, there needs to be an adequate and rigid frame made up of timber battens, onto which the sheets are then fixed.
3. A simple footlift can be made from a spare section of softwood and used to lever boards up against vertical framework.
4. Don't try and polish it too much or move it around. Use the two coat method, when applying the top coat leave it to stiffen a little before polishing.
5. Get the surface as smooth as possible while focusing simply on applying the plaster. Make sure to allow proper drying times for each application of plaster.
6. In between each layer of plaster, you should ensure that your tools are thoroughly cleaned before another batch of plaster is applied.
7. Render! The beauty with a render finish is it's usually a sponge finish which hides all manner of plastering sins.
8. Get plenty of light onto the wall you are plastering - it's very easy to miss lumps in shadows and gloom.
9. Always use clean water for your mixes.
10. Remember it takes years to be a master plasterer. Every wall is different and brings its own challenges. But that's half the fun!